- Games can integrate and add value to lessons.
- All games can be use in education
What is a game like element?
- needs to be compelling
- can be used to alter motivation
- piece of a game that adds something to it
- objectives - can be overall objective, can be spelled out or subtle embedded within a game
- scaffolding - gives a player enough information to play, but not so much that it keeps them from playing. (WOW- great example), constantly reuse skills or topics learned and reflect, start off easy, use it!
- expression and progression - progression bars, meters, fill up bars, level up
- feedback - sound cues, grades, meters, numerical, fail or “die”, progress, success
- achievements - badges, developer creator goals, objectives of the game (mini quests), about feedback, accomplishment, positive reinforcement, allow for reflection, shareable and social
- narrative - gives background information, gives context, story telling
- role play
- choice - character, reactions, gives ownership to players
- fixed rewards
- interval rewards
Gamification - takes pieces of games to make it more compelling (improve engagaement or change behavior) - takes these elements and use in different contexts
How can we use these elements in the classroom?
- Extra credit ball - 4 x a semester a ball is tossed out (inside the ball are numbers) the ball gets tossed out into the crowd a student picks a number, whatever number is pulled, that's the number of extra credit points is given that day to students.
- A code is embedded in a presentation to unlock quizzes or extra credit points given to students who attend class
- Experience and meters
- Start out with an F in course, each item handed in then meter goes up, shows progression throughout course
- Give objectives that are clear (a rubric)
- Blogs - start a leader board (based on comments) - bring your A game to a blog post
- extrinsic motivation
- competition doesn’t work for everyone
- over justification effect - constant feedback etc. ask to do without an extrinsic reward - the motivation is at times lost
- privacy - use systems that are not all about grades, most items are not required
Examples of frameworks that already have this to import into your class: